These are only few of the important aspects of managing an online documentation:
- To make the documentation accessible not only to customers who may know what to search for, but also to potential customers who want to know if your product is indeed what they are looking for and if it has the features they need
- To save your customers and potential customers time finding the information they need fast and without the need to open a support ticket by providing them with quick and easy navigation options
- To significantly decrease the amount of support tickets opened
- To reduce the number of support agents you need to hire and save you money
- To clear your time for other important aspects of your business instead of spending it mostly on answering support tickets
- To highlight and filter the important subjects that do require your attention in order to improve your product/s
- To highlight the popular subjects that repeat in many support tickets and can be added to the documentation to improve and empower it further
- To allow you to extend your documentation if you would ever want to manage multiple products under the same documentation platform and still not lose all other aspects as mentioned above
These are only few of the important aspects you should consider when creating your online documentation.
- Why We Developed DocFairy?
- What Makes DocFairy the Most Advanced Documentation Platform?
- 1. Attribute Documents to Multiple Products, Topics and / or Types
- 2. Create Different Types of Content
- 3. Choose the Relevant Level of Knowledge
- 4. Provide Users with Advanced Filtering Options
- 5. Add an External Website Search
- 6. Attach Resources / Links to Specific Documents
- 7. Add Private Notes to Specific Documents
Why We Developed DocFairy?
After working with many documentation platforms and as our online store grew, more products have been added to it and our customers list grew rapidly we came to the conclusion that the documentation / knowledge-base platforms that exist in the market are lack many features and options.
We then decided to develop a new platform, but we wanted it to be very abstract, and we wanted it to take into consideration all the important aspects as specified above so that it will not be limited to our own use, but will also provide a much better solution for everyone who manages an online documentation for every type of product, whether it is physical, digital, downloadable etc.
After experimenting with the platform for almost 6 months we have released our documentation, got feedbacks from users and improved it further we are finally ready to release it as a commercial platform called DocFairy, so you can enjoy the benefits of it and have the ability to build a top quality documentation for your own use.
What Makes DocFairy the Most Advanced Documentation Platform?
DocFairy includes very important features and settings you will not find in any other WordPress-based documentation platform and we keep adding more and more unique features on the go.
Among the unique features DocFairy offers it will allow you to:
1. Attribute Documents to Multiple Products, Topics and / or Types
While building your online documentation you will probably find that some documents are relevant to more than one of your products.
In that case, there is not real sense to creating duplicate articles that contain the exact same information, few of the reasons for that are:
- Considered as duplicate content for search engines
- Not efficient if you want to maximize your time
- Difficult to manage over time as your documentation grows
- Difficult to maintain as if you need to update the article you will also need to update all duplicate articles as well
DocFairy saves you time by allowing you to attribute one document to as many products as you like, and moreover, you can even attribute the document to as many topics and / or types as you like.
As DocFairy is a WordPress based platform, you can easily select all the relevant products, topics and / or types from the list you have entered in the Manage Products / Topics / Types sections.
Just click with the mouse on the Products / Topics / Types sections and choose all the relevant options:
As you can see from our online eCommerce store for digital products, we have create a document and attributed it to 20 relevant products (plugins in our case), in 1 topic and 3 different types of plugins (on the right side):
When a user will enter the document from the front-end you he will be able to view all the products, topics and types the document is relevant to from within the sidebar widget using DocFairy’s unique sidebar widgets as seen in the screenshot below:
2. Create Different Types of Content
A good documentation / knowledge-base should include the following type of information:
- Articles / documents
- FAQ section
- Video tutorials
- Important links / resources
Having the ability to create different types of documents is highly important as it will help your users find the type of information they need faster which will:
- Create a much better user-experience for them
- Increase their satisfaction from the support they are getting
- Increase the chances of them to re-use the knowledge-base in the future before opening a support ticket
- Decrease the overall support tickets opened
DocFairy allows you to create 4 different types of information:
- Resources (links)
You can also insert images, videos and links inside the documents and FAQs as part of the information.
One of the built-in features we have developed within DocFairy that allows your users to find the information they need faster are unique icons to distinguish between the different types of information, as you can see in the below screenshot:
Video icon (default) is as seen below, but you can easily change it to any thumbnail you want.
The resources attached to the product will appear in the sidebar using a unique sidebar widget.
The icons appear when clicking to view all the relevant documentation of a products and this is how it looks:
3. Choose the Relevant Level of Knowledge
Adding the level of knowledge to your documents if highly important as it lets your customers know to who the document is relevant and what is level of knowledge they should have in order to fully understand what is written and to shorten the time it takes to find the information they need.
DocFairy allows you to choose from 4 different levels of knowledge: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Developers (the Developers level is relevant mostly for digital products such as software, plugins, guides atc.).
You can easily assign the right level of knowledge to any document or FAQ by click Edit to edit it, scrolling down to the Properties Meta box and choosing the relevant level of knowledge from the drop-down list as seen in the below screenshot:
4. Provide Users with Advanced Filtering Options
There are different types of users who will probably search your online documentation:
- Customers who know which product’s documentation to search in
- Customers who are looking for troubleshooting
- Potential customers who are looking for information regarding a specific product they heard of
- Potential customers who are looking for certain features but have no idea where to look for it inside your knowledge-base
- And more…
Providing your users with effective and easy ways to find the information they need quickly is highly important and will:
- Encourage users to search and find the information on their own and therefore, will increase their satisfaction and provide a better user-experience
- Reduce the amount of support tickets opened and therefore, reduce the number of support agents required
DocFairy provides you with unique searching and filtering options that will allow your users to find the information they need about your products, including:
A. Live Search Box:
The ability to search for products and documents by entering a word or a search term inside the unique search box.
The relevant products and documents will be automatically displayed and also clickable, so the user can just click on the relevant products / document in 1-click!
In the below screenshot you can see that entering the word “testing” the search box immediately displays all the relevant results divided to products.
The user can also filter the search box to display results for a specific product by choosing from the list of products on the right:
B. Filter by Products and / or Keywords:
Users can filter by products and / or keywords to allow them to search for complete documentation of specific products and even documents related to specific terms / keywords.
Both the products and the keywords lists open when clicking with the mouse on the relevant option:
Here’s an example of how the products and keywords list looks like:
* Note that you can add an excerpt to each of the products
Filtering by products:
By clicking on any of the product the user is redirected to the complete product’s page with all the relevant information (documents, faqs, videos and resources):
Filtering by keywords:
By clicking on any of the keywords the user is redirected to a page with all the relevant articles divided according to the product the article is related to:
And also, within each keyword you can filter the results to the specific product you want by clicking on the “Filter by product” option below the title.
This filter is extremely helpful especially if the chosen keyword is related to many documents in many different products:
5. Add an External Website Search
Many site owners like to build their documentation / knowledge-base on a different website, for example:
main website is: http://yourdomain.com
documentation website is: http://docs.yourdomain.com
DocFairy allows you to add the live search box, including the filtering options, to any external website using a unique shortcode that can be inserted to any post or page.
Here is an example of a complete support portal that is located on a different domain than the documentation and includes the external website search box:
6. Attach Resources / Links to Specific Documents
The more your documentation grows and the more information you add to it, you may need to add resources to specific documents only.
DocFairy is the only documentation platform that allows you to attach as many resources as you like to specific documents.
To attach a resource to a specific document just click to edit the relevant document, go to the Properties Meta box and choose the relevant resource/s from the list you have added inside the Resources menu:
7. Add Private Notes to Specific Documents
If you have a team of editors that manage your online documentation, having the ability to communicate with them through the platform about any additions and changes that need to be made to specific documents can be very effective and can help you maintain an informative and up-to-date knowledge-base.
DocFairy’s private notes feature allows you and your team to add private notes inside the documents themselves, so only the editorial staff will see them and they will not be visible by visitors and customers who read the documents on the front-end.
To add a private note just click to edit the relevant documentation and go to the Properties Meta box under “Private Notes”: